Monday, August 22, 2016

Thoughts on Ben-Hur 2016

Yesterday, I treated myself to “Ben-Hur” the 2016 remake of the classic film.  It’s a deep film that got me pondering on subjects like love, forgiveness, turning the other cheek and letting go.  The one that rattled my brain most was on letting go as associated with the paschal mystery.  Jesus ministry teaches us that we can’t hold on to things that keep us from Him we must leave them behind, “follow me and let the dead bury their dead.”  This phrase figuratively states that in the Christian life we must let go of those things that keep us from God and from becoming the best version of ourselves… One of the things that fascinate me about Christian spirituality is that suffering not only redeems, transforms, but has a remedy.  God can heal it. I came to Christ when my brother committed suicide.  What followed was a time of healing, in which I learned that in order to have peace I needed to let go of all the pain, resentment, anger I had carried all of my life not just the one associated with my brother’s passing.  It wasn’t easy nor was it a quick fix, but as I opened my heart and trusted in God more I began to heal – to make peace with years of darkness.  As I traded pain for peace I fell hard for God and my Catholic faith.  My life found purpose my suffering meaning…  Yet, I never associated this process of “letting go” to the paschal mystery.  While watching the film there’s a scene where Jesus is making his way to the cross and he falls to the ground and tells a perplexed Ben-Hur, “I give my life of my own free will.” 

Death in the Christian life comes in many ways, we die every time we “let go and let God” (as the cliché goes), when we part with a human weakness that keeps us from living the truth of Christ - we die and are reborn.  As I made peace with the notion of seeking revenge on those who had hurt me and learned forgiveness the bitterness and heavy burden I carried disappeared.  As I forgave God for all those erroneous accusations our relationship was restored. As I made peace with myself for my own weaknesses and failures I learned self-love and self-acceptance.  As I forgave others, God and myself I made room for goodness, joy and peace.  In order to make room for God, His philosophy, His love we all need to empty ourselves and make room.  He can’t come into areas that are already occupied, “the paschal mystery is a mystery of how we, after undergoing some kind of death, receive new life and new spirit.”  We must allow old dreams, hurts, people to die so that we can indeed live in hope, love and peace.  We can't carry things nor let them occupy space that God’s spirit wants to indwell.  In watching “Ben-Hur” I realized how much our pride can disguise itself as righteousness – but as Pontius Pilate states in the movie, “What this man, Jesus, teaches… compassion and love that is truly dangerous.” Dangerous in the sense that now we are ruled by God and no one else.   

No comments:

Post a Comment