Monday, August 29, 2016

Conversion: A Matter of Honesty & Sacramental Life

Nautical Sunday Outfit.

I love the story of Saint Augustine because he began his life as a pagan who lived very true to that lifestyle feeding his passions selfishly, never giving much thought to morality then he has this radical conversion and becomes one of the most influential people in the Catholic Church.  His infamous prayer, “Lord, make me a good and chaste Christian, but not yet” caused me to chuckle acknowledging his wit.  I found his words funny, but I never really pondered the quote enough to allow the profound meaning to reach me.  Recently, learning that Saint Augustine’s conversion consisted of two major conversions in the saint’s life helped me understand that his wit had depth beyond just the power of syntax.  The first was an intellectual conversion, Saint Augustine knew in his head that he was a Christian, but “for nine more years, until he was thirty-four years old, he was unable to bring his moral life into harmony with his intellectual faith.”  The same thing happened to me and I believe we all go through this dual conversion to some degree.  I always thought that in my heart I accepted Christ the day I lost my brother, but it wasn’t until I started getting to know Jesus that my mind began to change and my life to show signs of true conversion.
Found this Ralph Lauren dress with such a fun print!
A cute fish bracelet.

Learning the two-part conversion story of Saint Augustine was like attending group therapy and hearing other’s validate what I have for so long wanted to put into words, but felt shame because it took me so long to live out my faith honestly Christian.  Saint Augustine, one of the doctors of the church, who contributed so much wisdom and left us such a valuable legacy – didn’t have a miraculous conversion from one day to the next.  He struggled between his old self and the morally good person he wanted to become for many years!  Knowing the truth is not enough.  We can be very learned Christians, but if our energy is not working for our and others sanctification – we truly haven’t discovered Christ, “we see from example that it’s not enough just to know the truth, to have clarity of conviction, and to know where ideally our lives should be heading, though that can be a valuable start.” Saint Augustine knew the truth, but it wasn’t until he began to live it authentically that his life truly converted and his conversion helped guide many towards God. A healthy spiritual life has a lot to do with honesty and owning up to our own weaknesses.
After my initial conversion, I tried to be morally good but my sins were more powerful.  I had a huge problem with drinking and partying; but, I felt like I was only living like any other college girl.  Deep in me I knew that I drank to escape the pain from my brother’s passing and I played the drunken fool as an excuse to be liberated from the constraints of life.  I just thought it’s a phase someday I’ll grow out of it or made excuses even blaming my drinking on peer pressure, “The Gospels emphasize continually, that it is not weakness that is problematic within our relationship to God, but rationalization, denial, lying and the hardening of our hearts in the face of truth.” After a year of showing hung over to mass, I finally found myself craving the change. I had to learn to be honest and take responsibility for my actions – I also had to confront the fear that if I stopped the partying and drinking I would lose my friends.  There was also this great need to finally be open with friends and loved ones that I was a Christian and (even more scary) a Catholic one.  Yet, as any person with an addiction in admitting the problem one gets so much strength.  I found support in new Christian friendships and slowly like Saint Augustine my life began to align itself with my Christian faith.  A degree of honesty in matters of conversion is crucial but must be accompanied with forgiveness.  Thus, aligning our lives to the Sacraments is key, “what is the most spiritually troubling is not our weaknesses and sin, but our lack of searing contrition.”  We can't just admit the truth we need to also make amends for the hurt we caused others, ourselves and God.  Admitting our weakness deserves a celebration and the good feeling that comes with honing up to the truth, but it fades quickly if one doesn’t proceed to repair the wrongs of our actions.  That’s why the Sacrament of Reconciliation is such a big act in Catholicism.  Our good, good Father is waiting with arms open to forgive us, like He did the prodigal son.  Confessing or sins and receiving forgiveness go hand in hand.  To accept honestly that we have wronged is the beginning of a twofold healing process.  A healthy spirituality begins with truth and ends with reconciliation.  
Used the book "A Holy Longing" by Rolheiser on this reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment