Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The Hurrier I Go The Behinder I Get

I am not a grateful person naturally, when things happen to me that deserve a big “thank you God” I don’t automatically thank Him.  The first thing I usually do is to share it with a loved one.  For example, when I got a promotion at work I immediately called my mom to share with her the good news, only after I had called her did I realized that I had not thanked God for my good fortune.  This is a pattern that I am usually caught in- though now as I am sending that message to a loved one I realize hey what about God?  It’s just easier to seek God when I need a favor when I am stuck in a situation where I feel desperate.  I have no problem with prayer of petition, there’s always something else I could request… But to be grateful, to count my blessings really takes effort. 

Part of the problem is that I lead a life that is full activity, I am always rushing from one thing to the next trying to accomplish as much as I can. Lately, things at work have gotten really hectic and I am always rushing!  I don’t even have time to eat lunch away from my desk.  So, usually as I eat my lunch I am engaged in a million other activities.  Most times I even rush through grace!  There’s a correlation between a grateful spirit and also a slow spirit, a spirit who walks slowly through life enjoying every moment.  A Buddhist reflection about eating a tangerine describes the difference between eating the fruit with and without awareness.  Those who eat it quickly do not enjoy the treat while those who take the time to smell the sweet fragrance- to relish each slice can be lost in the process of savoring each bite. Though two people can both “do” the same activity how one approaches each situation in life makes the difference between a thankful and an entitled spirit. Living mindfully aware and present to the moment- training our mind and body to be here now is a practice that all saints mastered. Yet, my mind is usually so preoccupied with the next task, I am like that rabbit in Alice in Wonderland shouting, “I’m late, I’m late…” (or) “the hurrier I go the behinder I get.”  Yet, the moments my mind stores in her special “chest of memories” are the moments where I am present body and soul.  

Yesterday, I spent the day with my nephew and the whole day was so beautiful because children naturally live in the “here” and they invite us to join them there.  We visited the Discovery Science Center and for half of the day we ran wild actively messing with the laws of science.  Even as we sat to enjoy lunch, he looked down at his pizza and was amazed by the size of his pepperoni!  He’s like “Tia, this place is like a paradise for kids.”  Praising God, and being thankful has a lot to do with growing up and not losing that wonder, that fascination with life- being amazed and laughing by giant pepperoni.    

No comments:

Post a Comment