Monday, April 21, 2014

Heaven is for Real Movie Review

Part of my Easter morning was unexpectedly spent at the cancer ward of UCI Medical Hospital visiting my cousin whose wife is getting ready to depart home.  I sat in silence knowing that none of my words would help alleviate his pain and remembering how death always feels so miserably unnatural.  Memories of my first experience with loss flooded my mind.  It’s been ten years since my brother left us and though now I bear it - the scar will never lose its sensitivity until we meet again…  People kept arriving in Easter attire to accompany my cousin and to pray over his wife.  As I sat forgotten in a corner of the waiting room I gave thanks to God for we are so fortunate to live in post-Christ times.  We have the truth of heaven and the knowledge that death has been beaten on the cross.  Christ is our passage home.  What better day to be reminded of this monumental truth than on Resurrection Day.  Thus, before I left the hospital I reminded my cousin of the truth of heaven and life after death hoping that it would give him the solace that it had given me the day I was forced to say farewell to my brother.
My Easter attire.


On Friday, my sister and I watched Heaven is for Real and while it dealt with the mystery of life- after-death and offered great hope I didn’t really enjoy the film.  The movie is based on the real life account of a four-year-old boy, Connor, who has a near death experience and travels to heaven.  He returns to the world and shares his experience with his father.  While the details of heaven offered by Connor are beautiful (I especially enjoyed learning that animals are also present in heaven (smile)) the way the film depicts Pastor Burpo’s obsession and even exploitation of his son’s personal encounter really bothered me.  Moments after Connor privately shares some details of his celestial journey with his father, Burpo approves a press interview and the little boy’s experience becomes broadcasted to the entire town.  The acting is stronger than your typical faith based film, but the storyline is super cheesy.  Most of the film’s transitions are forced especially the issue questioning the credibility of Colton’s experience to a sudden conversion by the entire congregation.  A simple Burpo speech during a press filled Sunday service makes believers of all including the atheist psychologist.  I really wanted to like this film, but as someone who has not read the book I thought it would be more about heaven or even more about Connor- but it turned out into a story about Pastor Burpo taking a beautiful experience and using it to his advantage.  As the film closed presenting a picture of Jesus with green eyes and hippie highlighted hair and claiming that, that’s what Jesus really looks like it was too much...  Though, on a positive note, it’s great seeing more faith-based films making it to the box office (smile).
Easter Vigil

The Catholic Church in Orange County welcomed over 1000 new believers this Easter.

The issue of heaven and life after death is what brought me to the feet of God.  It’s what caused my initial adult conversion and prompted my return to the Catholic Church and that might make me an uncompromising critic on the topic.  As I mature and my life continues to experience loss it is heaven that motivates and inspires hope.  Knowing that every time one of my loved one’s departs the angels throw a party at their arrival in heaven and resting in the promise that because of Jesus I will see them again always uplifts me.  Heaven is for real I just need to look at the cross to know so.  Praise be to God!



No comments:

Post a Comment