Thursday, April 10, 2014

Come to Me all Who are Weary

Once a year my therapist and I complete an annual care plan.  It begins with an assessment of how well I achieved the goals we set for the previous year.  After looking at my accomplishments or lack thereof we create a new plan to continue my healing and progress to a more self-sufficient state (meaning no more therapy only an occasional visit with the psychiatrist for my meds).  It’s a difficult task to look at one’s brokenness in the company of another person and this week that’s just what I did with my therapist.  Together we took a critical view at my life and dug into my most private struggles.  As we talked about chronic fatigue, my weight, spending money, impulsivity, among other more confidential issues I felt like a total weirdo.  We talked about simple things like hygiene, diet and exercise and how doing simple things require so much effort most of the time.  We named the barriers that come with bipolar disorder like depression, anxiety, mania, irritability, low energy…  Finally, we created my personal care plan with goals and monthly targets- including reading literature on Distress Intolerance.  After leaving our very productive therapy session I felt so depressed!  The session reminded me of my weaknesses, my struggles and my brokenness.  It highlighted all these issues that I have and how much work I still need to do on myself.  It opened a door to self-loathing and self-pity.  It pushed me over the edge and as I was driving home I was thinking no man will ever love me; not with all this imperfection, with all this craziness and abnormality.  These repulsive thoughts dominated my mind for a couple of days because I didn’t take them to Jesus I decided to swim in the ugly pond of insecurity.  How fickle our emotions are- they toy with us and make us slaves to feeling.  I cancelled my Bible Study Group because I was feeling horrid and sat in front of my TV trying to distract myself from further thought.
An afternoon at the dog beach!

Nothing had changed from the moment I went into to my therapy session to the moment I left, only my thoughts and emotions.  I went from Christ centered to self-centered.  In the first book of Corinthians God asks us to be imitators of Him.  I do not recall a moment in Jesus’ ministry where He lost his heavenly focus especially when He faced great conflicts.  Instead He prayed.  I on the other hand lost all my joy and condemn myself to being unlovable, wow!  I didn’t rush to my heavenly Father for comfort nor did I abide in Him instead I focused on my problems, my fears and my weaknesses.  Goodness what a difficult week and all because I lost my focus!  Pope Francis said, “God never tires of forgiving us; we are the ones who tire of seeking his mercy.”  Isn’t that the beautiful truth!  God, our perfect, loving Father wants us to rush to Him always so that He can remind us that His strength is made perfect in our weaknesses so that our faith might rest in His power. People (myself included) have a tendency to focus on the problems and the pain, but God asks us to trust Him, to focus on Him.  As a result our relationship with God strengthens, our will becomes united to His and we become more useful to the mission (smile).  And He gives us peace and joy.  Children instinctively run to their parents when in need of comforting or faced with adversity, that's how we need to be with our Father in heaven; always running into His open arms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment