Saturday, January 23, 2021

Today Was A Good Day

It was a good week.

I never imagined that my first year back as an educator would be hijacked by virtual learning.  In my arsenal of preparation, I did not plan for a pandemic, quarantine or teaching with a camera to students on the other side of the screen.  It’s super uncomfortable for this camera-shy gal, to spend my days in front of a camera.  My dreams all take place behind the scenes, yet this national crisis has me daily teaching, motivating, inspiring kids to continue working on towards graduation.  Some days I struggle to leave my bed, knowing that I have to turn on my camera and work in isolation trying to bring feelings of unity and hope to my kids.

In in-person learning, I can read the class, I can see when I am losing my students or when they are excited and really capturing the lesson; but, in virtual learning I speak into this black abyss and am not sure how the students are doing.  Since, I have issues being on camera, I empathize and do not require my students to have their cameras on unless they want to.  This means that most turn theirs off.  Yet, I have noticed that they participate more when their cameras are off.  On days that I don’t have technological issues I rejoice – but most days I find that my internet lags, or that some kids can’t open a document, or that the platform I use is failing to function and I spend my time trying to fix these technological issues that learning seems to happen very little.  I used to struggle with the drop in learning that this pandemic has caused, but I have learned that just showing up to class and being there for my kids is the big lesson.  Forcefully turning on my camera and being present is me letting them know that they have someone who will show up no matter what.

Virtual learning is not as rewarding, but there are days that even all the challenges cannot keep some good from reaching me.  This week, I had a student who on her first day of class arrived crying.  She suffers from severe anxiety and this past year I have watched her grow and become more confident.  This week she surprised me when she joined our virtual run club and two Direct Instruction classes.  She has blossomed from an insecure girl, terrified of others into a student doing extra while working towards her high school diploma and college.  She and I have developed a deep bond and watching her excel has been such a victory…

Then I have another kid, a teenage mom and she is always sending me picture of her baby, now six months old.  When she sends me updates on her baby, I can’t help but feel so darn special!  I met her when she was pregnant and to watch her blossom into a mom while continuing her education has been a joy.  Sometimes I get so focused on the technical aspect of my job, that I miss how much my students are developing and achieving great things even in this challenging time.

It took me almost a year to get into distance learning, but now I am starting to see beyond the challenges and see the fruits of this difficult process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment