Saturday, December 26, 2020

Christmas 2020

How was your Covid Christmas? 

It was difficult to not feel a little different this year during the Christmas season.  Though Zoom replaced some of my usual holiday gatherings with friends and I was able to celebrate Jesus’ big day with my family this season sure felt different.  None more than Nochebuena, our first Christmas Eve (since my reversion) that we haven’t gone to midnight service.  Our parishes weren’t offering it because Mass is back to being held outside again.  It was depressing not being able to go kiss and adore baby Jesus in the manger after Nochebuena service like we have done for so many years now.  

Christmas Day proved equally different because I attended Mass with only my siblings.  My parents are both retired and at the age that the virus seems to hit most severely so we have been trying to keep them safe.  In addition, they are avid news viewers and I think this has made them a little more anxious about going out. It didn’t help, that aunt called and informed us that all her kids are infected.  Yet, what hit my mom worse is that a childhood friend of hers is battling for her life with the virus in the hospital.  We have been praying for her as a family and hope that she can recover even though it seems unlikely.

We are the lucky ones thus far because other than quarantine we have been doing well. The consequences of the virus have been felt in ways that is probably sinful to complain because as I celebrated this Christmas surrounded once more by my parents and those who I love most our hearts are full.  Not being able to go to Midnight or Christmas Day service with my parents made me realize how much I take for granted.  It felt incomplete to be able to attend without mi familia; yet, when I helped mom with our annual tamale batch, or when we gathered together to pray and eat dinner or when we opened gifts this year those moments felt so much more special.  Not being able to worship together during Mass only amplified the moments where we could be one family and I had to thank  Jesus for giving me so much this troublesome year.

No comments:

Post a Comment