Saturday, December 19, 2020

Penny's Bakeoff Challenge

This week was such an emotionally good week.  While the pandemic left us no choice, but to try are best with virtual I still felt connected to my kids and coworkers.  Yesterday, our region provided a cooking lesson type virtual party for staff.  They hired the local cooking school that we bring in to teach our students culinary skills, but this time for the staff.  As an avid “British Bake Off” and “Nailed It” viewer I felt like my dream of being a contestant on said shows were brought to life.  During the three-hour lesson I scrambled around my kitchen, thinking I need to buy sharper knives, and a scraper and a better mixer- I guess I just couldn’t face the reality that perhaps the cook was the one with the deficiencies (wink).   



It was my first time working with real pasta dough and my goodness I just got a new appreciation for Italian chefs! How in the world can anyone cut the pasta in perfect lines and keep it from becoming mush!  I also got experience cooking with a timer- most of the time I was rushing trying to keep up with the instructions coming from my computer.  I think the chef, thought that teachers are great students, but we kept asking her why our dishes weren’t looking like hers, what to do when we messed up and to please slow down!  At a time, I thought the chef looked annoyed by our inadequacy.  In the end my pasta turned out like a pile of mush that even Francis didn’t want to try it.  I was thinking, “I am cooking dinner for my family,” but if I was competing on “Nailed It” I would have been in last place.  That’s how disastrous my linguine carbonara looked and tasked to match.


In the end I learned, that I am a baker and while I love to eat, as a cook I am still a work in process.  My dessert, pistachio biscotti, turned out yummy and looked much like the chefs.  Francis wouldn’t try it either, but my dad and nephew had a slice and that made all the mess and dishes that I had to do after worth the stress of being in my schools cooking competition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment