Saturday, May 30, 2020

Everyday Heroes


I have a student that everyday I call him for his appointment he’s always like, “what day is today- with things as they are, I cannot never keep track.”  These past few months that’s exactly, how I felt- everyday just blended together.  That’s why I am so grateful that places are starting to open up again bringing with it a sense of hope that perhaps the worst is behind us.  This past week I was able to go to confession and visit the dog park!  I had been cooped up in my house and I finally went out to two of my favorite places.  Today, I heard one thrift store is opening and I plan to make a quick stop.  Though I am an introvert and being in isolation perhaps has been less challenging than for extroverts- I do miss having the choice to be out.  However, my parents are of the critical infection age, so my siblings and I have tried to make sacrifices in order to make sure that they remain healthy.
It’s funny how something so small can impact our lives in such a big way.  I live in the city where we had massive protests to open up the county again. I still remember the crowds on the news holding signs “it’s my body and it’s my choice if I die.”  A bit selfish, but people react to challenge in all kinds of weird ways.  As a Catholic I am used to the idea of sacrifice, that even though the odds of me contacting the virus is much less than someone older- I still need to follow protocol to keep others safe.  To many this idea of giving something up for the good of others is not in their realm of comprehension.  However, as members of a bigger community sometimes we must sacrifice, even if it is a personal freedom to help our neighbor.   

I remember a teacher once told me, “history is full of heroes and people continue to be fascinated by stories about heroes- you will rarely, if ever, hear a story of a person who gave up on his dreams.”  This is true even today when Marvel Comic movies sell out on opening week.  The soul is attracted to heroes, those who overcome great challenges, opposition and exhibit great personal character.  There’s also an element of sacrifice in the hero’s journey.  Some do give up their lives, but they do so as an act that will save many lives and not as an act of selfishness.  I am reminded of Saint Maximilian Kolbe who took the place of another in the fire in Auschwitz.  He was a Catholic priest who volunteered to be executed in the place of a stranger, he gave the stranger life and the opportunity to be able to return to his family.  In the worst of times we thrive in hearing testimonies of everyday men and women who meet challenges with utter self-denial.  During this quarantine, I saw many photographs of hospital staff who worked such long days that their face masks left bruising on their faces- now that’s they stuff heroes are made!         

No comments:

Post a Comment