Sunday, June 7, 2020

Life's Movement

Last year for Father’s Day, I took my dad to his favorite nursery and he picked out this beautiful plant.  After a couple of months, the flowers died and the plant dried up.  My dad so loved that plant that he found a seed from one of its flowers and replanted it.  For months he watered it and tended to it and one day he proudly showed me the first sprouts of the seed.  The other day, dad pointed proudly to the plant which looks exactly like it did almost a year ago.  Jokingly I said, “I guess this year I am not getting you a Father’s Day gift.”  As I sat in my backyard enjoying the red blooms, I realize that most things in life require care- when things are neglected - they shrivel and die. 
Lately I have been so consumed with the changes that have occurred in my life and I haven’t tended my garden.  A new job, returning to school, induction, ERWC training, quarantine among becoming a virtual teacher has taken all of my concentration.  The days have blended into each other and all of my focus has been simply survival mode.  I am not one that does well with change and these past few months have been so full of it that sometimes just rolling out of bed to perform my job has been a great success.  These past few days, I have sat in my garden thinking how devoid of life I feel- I have been so focused on getting my responsibilities taken care of that I haven’t dedicated much time or effort to anything else… But after the tempest comes the calm. This next week is my last week of work before my two-week summer break and I am so excited to have some time to finally relax.

I will have a few days to catch my breath, to reconnect with others, to do things that make me happy – to tend to my garden.  I miss the creative entries that I used to produce here, lately my writing feels stale because it has felt more like a duty than a creative outlet.  Much like my dad’s beloved plant life requires attention and care.  These past few months (like many) I have been just trying to survive but, I cannot do that anymore I need to add life to my days.  Everyone deserves a break (I am so lucky that my profession gives me that luxury) to stop and simply enjoy.  In the creation narrative, God tells us that on the seventh day He rested.  As I like to share with my RCIA students, “On the seventh day, God sat on his throne and opened a Corona to simply enjoy His masterpiece giving us the example to do the same.” 

After months of days that blended into each other- I am looking forward to the upcoming rest and the opportunity to tend and enjoy my lot.  Dad's plant reminded me that all is not lost, that with a little care new blooms do come.  Things are forever changing, but just like the movement of water in a river keep it from rotting - life pushes us to press on.  After all its the ride that helps us build character and chip away at our imperfections becoming a little less me and a lot more like Him.           

No comments:

Post a Comment