Saturday, May 23, 2020

A Bit of Rollercoaster


It’s been a week like Shakespeare would describe one of “sweet, sorrow.”  On Monday, I awoke to the news that 16 people were laid off from our joined five charters, five staff from my center.  Though I was the last to get hired, I was not affected and finding out that I get to stay and continue living my dream job brought all sorts of mixed feelings – relieved that I get to stay and hurt for those that are leaving us at the end of the school year.  We are living in difficult times, Covid-19 has had negative effects beyond health concerns and I just pray that soon we will be able to lead normal lives again.  The financial repercussions have been extreme and its scary because if things don’t improve none of us are safe in keeping our jobs!

My take on "Portrait of Miss Bowles with a Dog" by Joshua Reynolds

I also was able to complete year one of Induction this week and get certified to teach ERWC.  My last two weeks were crazy busy attending classes and workshops after my work hours – my eyes and head were in a state of perpetual pain, but I finally can come into the upcoming week knowing that now I only have to worry about completing end of the year parent conferences and no longer extra course work.  This is such a relief because I hate, hate, hate screens.  I never wanted to be the protagonist of my own films and this quarantine has me in front of a camera all day long.  I crave for the day we are told that we can return to working on site.  At the moment the plan is that we will be working virtually until the end of August month two of our new school year. So, things are ever changing and for one that has difficulty with change it has been quite a time.

As I state all these laments, God is so good! He knows how much I miss the Sacraments and Father just announced that today we can come for drive thru confessions!  I seriously, did the Snoopy happy dance because I so need to go after such a long period of not being able to.  Then the Diocese of Orange announced that on Corpus Christi Sunday the parishes will open for Mass!  These changes have me elated because now I know that I will be tangibly fed to continue fighting the good fight.  These changes are also glimpses that perhaps we can soon go back to leading our normal lives and gain the freedoms that have been put on hold (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment