Saturday, November 2, 2019

Halloween: Guardian Angels


I do love Halloween because as Shakespeare so rightly stated, “All the world’s a stage and all men and women are merely players.”  October thirty-first is the one day a year where we can use our imaginations without judgement.  This year, I intended to play tribute to guardian angels.  I bought my dog his wings a few months ago without realizing how much he would grow and I found my self trying to stuff his little body like a sausage into his costume.  Then I had the complication of dealing with a puppy who challenged the costume and taking a picture was like pulling teeth!  I also didn’t have my costume complete, I only had the wings, so I owe you pictures for this year’s costume tribute to guardian angels.
Growing up, I had an image above my bed of a guardian angel walking behind two small children that always made me feel safe.  Every night before going to sleep I would jump into the action of the painting so much so that I had such a concrete image of the bridge and natural surroundings.  In my mind, the bridge made a mousy squeak and all around me was an Eden with the most magnificent greens and music of nature.  The beautiful Guardian Angel with her flowy gown and locks of sunshine made everything safe, though she stood tall behind me, she was really leading the way into the unknown. Even though I have always been apprehensive about new territory in the painting with such a holy angel I sought adventure.
When I returned to the Catholic church, I learned that I had a designated guardian angel, one given only to me by God.  Though, I have the Holy Spirit that accompanies me until the end of time- having a guardian angel is such a consolation.  When I am struggling- usually experiencing inner conflict I call to my angel and ask her to be with me and like in the image that I grew up admiring to walk tall behind me leading the way.  It’s such a comfort and strength knowing that I am never alone, that God in his generosity gave me a celestial being to accompany me every step of my journey to heaven.  In the direst of situations, I pray one of the first prayers I learned as a child (which luckily never left me) and instantly I get the sense that I am not alone in my struggle.  I pray it in Spanish, which is the language I learned it in, and maybe the fact that it’s in the language of my mother I immediately feel it’s comforting effects.

God truly is a magnificent lover, who lavishes us (the object of his affection) with so many gifts that will make clear our path towards heaven. Even sending each of us our own very special guardian angel!

No comments:

Post a Comment