Saturday, November 9, 2019

On Learning


Learning fascinates me.  When I was in college, I had a classmate that was in his nineties who was taking the history course simply for fun and I thought that’s going to be me when I grow up.  Lately, my life has been taken over by learning, by opening areas of my brain that sat undeveloped during the past few years.  I find myself studying works of literature, refreshing myself on literary analysis tools and my least favorite grammatical rules.  Yet, as unpleasant as relearning grammar- I am so inspired and excited to be back doing something that I am truly passionate about.  A student of mine, with an autistic obsession with Star Wars was telling me how he loves to learn all about the films.  He’s disappointed in how the newer films have not remained true to the original movies.  We were having this great discussion that went into how he has a trait that few people have and that is that he loves to learn beyond the surface details.  He belongs to an online community of Star Wars fans who blog about all the weaknesses in the newer films, so I suggested he do his argumentative essay on this particular subject.  Few people make the time to learn beyond the surface and when I find a kindred spirit, I thank God for placing such a motivational soul in my journey.
This past week, as I worked with students’ I also had to attend a meeting with all the English teachers in our charter in hopes of creating a learning community where we can collaborate and just help each other out.  I also began my Induction Program at Antioch University.  This is my least favorite since I have to drive from my work across the world to get to class.  When I left teaching due to my disability – I was unable to finish the induction process and my credential since expired; making it mandatory for me to do extraordinary steps for renewal.  So, once a month I will have to make the voyage to Culver City until I complete the two-year program to take my credential from preliminary to permanent.  I feel like it’s just a way for agencies to make money because I am really not learning anything that I haven’t picked up as an educator.  I’m finding that a lot of what education is becoming paperwork.  Just looking good on paper and this program is helping me get all the paperwork that the CTC requires for credential renewal.

These past few weeks have been difficult in the amount of activity that now occupies my life, but slowly I am establishing a routine.  I am still amazed at how I haven’t had a breakdown yet and how my brain is actually behaving.  Prayer has been an integral part of this new journey and while I do complain about the long drive to and from work, in a way it’s a blessing because my car is usually the place where I unwind.  My car is usually the place where I pray and where I play podcasts that help my mind focus on God and not on the list of things to do.  Though my mind is great at panicking by looking too far into the future, through daily prayer I am reminded to live one day at a time.  It’s also nice working so close to the San Juan Capistrano Basilica because if I am truly stressed, I just go in for a little face to face with Jesus.  Continue keeping me in your prayers as I do you in mine.    

No comments:

Post a Comment