Friday, October 11, 2019

A Little Nostalgia: Holiday Sweaters


When I was a little girl, there was this teacher that always wore the happiest cardigans so in tune with each of the holidays throughout the year. I used to marvel at each of the clever designs she would wear and I vowed that when I grew up, I would dress just like her.  There was something utterly calming and equally trust worthy in her seasonally organized outfits.  I remember that I constantly found a reason to be near her.  Recently, in my happy thrifting expeditions, I came across the most fabulous vintage Halloween cardigan and immediately I was transported back into that elementary classroom and full of longing for simpler times I purchased it- a nostalgic buy for sure.  The cardigan is loud and probably tons tacky, but I love it and I can’t wait to wear it and begin making that childhood dream come true.  The day I found it, I came home and excitedly tried it on hoping that my enthusiasm would transfer to my mother, but she said it just wasn’t her cup of tea.  Even so her reaction didn’t make me love my cardigan any less nor kill the excitement of the little child within.
The funny thing is that when I try remembering more about the teacher, I can’t get an image passed her cardigan and me tugging at her slacks.  It’s almost like those cartoons that cut at the neck the adults and no matter how much I try I can’t retrieve my elementary teacher’s face.  I just remember her kindness and finding comfort being near her as I took my first steps in a new country.  She allowed me to silently orbit around her throughout the day and would pat my head sometimes when I loving hugged her leg.  I was just beginning to learn the new language so I didn’t talk a whole lot and she didn’t mind the silent companion.  Around her I didn’t have to worry about my accent or be scared of kids picking on me- she was my hero who instead of capes wore the best holiday ensemble. 

It’s funny how an item can transport one to a very specific time.  Am not sure if the teacher knew how much she touched my life, how her thoughtful outfits made her so utterly beautiful and I attracted to her charm survived a time of great change.  I didn’t understand a whole lot of English then, but I sure got her approachable message with her decorative-eighties-bling sweaters.  She tried in every way to engage her students and though the credential program doesn’t have a course on how to dress to motivate students- those Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s Day… sweaters were quite powerful teaching strategies (smile).  I know I have been a bit disorganized- I have had a lot of appointments trying to prepare for my new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment