Monday, September 9, 2019

Helpful Tips for Catechists


Yesterday, I began my sixth year as a catechist, we have fourteen enrolled in the program so far, but that number changes as more people join on the second week.  This year two of our students from last year have joined the team and their excitement has really impacted me – to hear their new found love for God is so refreshing.  I think sometimes, after some years of following Jesus I can take things for granted and to see the excitement of new converts really inspires and motivates my own faith journey.  Last year, I really thought it would be my last because I had so many things going on that I just couldn’t give my best to my RCIA service, but after I was informed that faith formation for the diocese had halted for a year I found myself with the time and energy to continue my RCIA service.  I think if you’re interested in sharing your faith with others through a parish faith formation program here are some tips.
Age Matters- I was a Confirmation catechist for one year and I just never found my grove with that age group (teens).  After joining RCIA where I find myself sharing my faith with adults I felt right at home. I love working with adults because of their level of maturity.  Yes, I have found some adults can be challenging; but for the most part they are more respectful and willing to open their hearts to God.  Having said this, I have friends that love working with children and teens- so it really depends on your personality.   
Teamwork- It really does take a village to lead others to Christ.  God created us for community and the team reflects that faith family unity.  A good team uses the strengths of each person for the evangelical mission.  I have been serving as the secretary of RCIA since I began serving in addition to giving lessons and helping in daily instruction.  Each member in our team decides how they want to serve, what they want to be in charge of and that really enriches the program because each is comfortable in their roles.
 A Good Leader makes all the difference. While God is in charge of the conversions a leader of the team helps guide the team and students.  Working with my best friend and leader of faith formation for adults has been such a great experience.  Sometimes we butt heads, but for the most part her creativity and passion is contagious.  Every year she pushes us to give better service, she challenges us to grow and I think that’s why I continue to serve as a catechist.

I think when it comes to giving to others the old adage, “you can’t give what you don’t have,” really plays an important role.  Each year I learn so much, this equips me to better serve the following year.  Thus, I never feel like I have mastered the art of being a good catechist because I am always learning, this ongoing growth is what keeps being a catechist exciting.  Every year a new batch of souls come to us and make the year so utterly unique – am really looking to the adventure of this 2019-2020 faith formation year.

No comments:

Post a Comment