Thursday, September 12, 2019

Doggy Training


Yesterday, we had our first dog training session at PetSmart.  My experience was so positive, it felt like group therapy for puppy owners.  While I thought that Francis has been a difficult dog to train, I realized that he is ahead of the game.  Many in his class were older than him and still not potty trained.  We worked on “sitting” (something Francis has already mastered) and “focus during distraction” something that he definitely needs to learn.  I think the main reason I enrolled him in the class was because he’s terrified of other dogs and I am at a loss as to what to do with his biting (teething).  As he has grown his teeth have punctured my skin and it’s no fun trying to work with a dog that hurts you without him knowing how to use his mouth safely.  It’s been a long time since we have had a puppy in the house and while the smiles are endless, he has been getting into quite a bit of trouble with his nipping and digging holes in the backyard.  I thought that after he completed his vaccines socializing him with other dogs would be a breeze and that the dog park would relieve him of all the puppy energy that is getting him into trouble.  Last night, he began the class under my seat terrified of being in such close proximity to other dogs, but as the class went on, he got more confident and by end he smelled another dog’s nose which was such a great victory.
Patience.  I think that after having a dog (Dollar) that I was able to teach quite easily and didn’t have any major behavioral problems- I was in the mindset that all dogs with dedication would be equally as easy.  Yet, Francis has been the complete opposite of my previous dog and I need to accept that even though he is requiring outside help that he will (with patience) turn into a great behaved dog.  The class last night revealed that Francis is actually ahead of the game in terms of knowing commands- he just needs help in socialization and I need to learn how to address his teething in a different manner. 
Dog training is not just about training the dog, it's also about training the owner.  He’s so little that I was afraid about using too many treats because I was thinking that I didn’t want him to have obesity problems, but I realized that treats are my best friend.  If I cut his meals into smaller portions than I can give him more treats to reward positive behavior.  I think his size has also been bewildering to me because I am used to a dog triple his size.  When I go on walks, I think “he’s too little to handle too much walking” or I get scared when bigger dogs are around… Thus, I am also learning how to be a good owner to a smaller dog.
Last night, while Francis had a blast and came home to sleep a full night- I think it served me quite as much.  I realized that what I have at home is a puppy and I need to remind myself that Francis is a puppy in training and that though we have a lot of things to work on, he’s not a bad dog- but one on his way to being a great therapy dog!  While I thought the class would be for Francis, I realized that it served both of us equally- can’t wait for the next five sessions in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment