Tuesday, July 9, 2019

When I Feel the Most Abandoned


I know that I have been a little negligent of my blog- I’ve had so many things on my mind because my family has been going through some trials.  Things that I cannot divulge without violating their right to confidentiality, but it seems like we are pulling through.  During this time, I have leaned on Saint Therese of Lisieux because she suffered quietly and gladly offering it all to God.  I have also asked for help, something that doesn’t come natural to me.  Yet, sometimes an outside voice can be heard when mine doesn’t resonate.  This has been the case in helping my brother.  I reached to our Jovenes Para Cristo community and they have helped him in ways that my family wasn’t able to.  Through this I have learned the importance of community in our faith journey, our brothers and sisters really do encourage our walk with the Lord- they can help us get back in the path when we’ve gone astray.  I couldn’t believe how quickly my community rose to the challenge of helping us, how gladly they offered to pray and to reach out.  This experience made it evident to me that when God said our faith is communal, He meant it as a gift to us.  For where two or more gather in His name miracles will occur!
I have also been experiencing some interior battles mainly dealing with disappointment.  Saint Therese wanted to travel to go on missions throughout the world sharing her faith with others, that was her great dream.  Due to health reasons she was confined to her bed and never left her native France, nevertheless instead of complaining or feeling defeated from her sick bed she prayed fervently for missionaries.  Her dream never came to fruition, but she turned her disappointment into prayer and sacrifice.  I have applied to several schools and had unsuccessful interviews – I have felt like a failure like I might never make it to teaching again- I have felt my dream been hit like a pinata from all angles.  Though I am doing very well financially with my eBay business, I feel incomplete without a normal job.  Though I am running an eBay store on a full-time basis the fact that it’s not your typical nine to five makes me wonder what people will say.  I wonder if people think that because I am unemployed, I am this lazy person that sits and vegetates on the couch all day.  Yet, I am earning the same amount that I was making when I was previously employed on my sales.  I think that I focus so much on what others will think of me that I don’t allow this disappointment to turn into a prayer of sacrifice.

Sometimes, I forget that not having rosy feelings all the time is ok, again I am afraid that people will question my faith based on the fact that I am not experiencing consolation.  Yet, many of the saints went through periods of dryness of not feeling God’s presence.  Saint Therese did not experiencing ecstasy during prayer, nevertheless she pressed on.  She didn’t allow the difficulty in prayer stop her from praying, in fact, she said:

“often when I cry to heaven for help it is when I feel the most abandoned.  But then I turn to God and His saints and thank them nevertheless.”     

Whether she felt immediate consolation or not Therese didn’t allow her feelings to cloud the truth.  At times I can throw the towel and think this is all meaningless, I try and try and get nowhere- I can surrender to my feelings of defeat, but when I am about to pull my white flag, God comes through to show me that all is not lost.  That though it’s ok to not always have rosy feelings as Christians we stand on the truth not emotions.  That when I cannot find immediate consolation, I must persist even if it seems like I get a little out of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment