Thursday, July 11, 2019

Growing Pains


I have been training my new pup and the biggest factor in getting successful results is establishing a routine.  It’s been difficult adjusting my life to include potty breaks, regular meals, training sessions, etc.  But after a few days of trying I have managed to stick to the new schedule and I am seeing great results in Francis.  Since I lost my job, it's been difficult establishing a routine since now my days are a bit unpredictable with the new activities that I have going on.  If I am not searching or applying for a job, working on my eBay store, going on interviews, restoring handbags I am found training my pup.  Sometimes I look at the clock and I can’t believe how fast time goes by.  Things change, no matter how much we want them to stay the same.  These changes challenge us to grow to continue maturing in every sense of the way; and we can either get stuck refusing to change or adapt- now I know why they call them growing pains. It’s uncomfortable to change because it means letting go of how things were in order to be open to receive the new gifts.
Francis is such a beautiful, playful boy; but, he’s not Dollar.  Yet, I can get stuck in wanting my canine in heaven or accept this new creature God has given me.  A wise teacher once told me that most people spend a lot of time wishing they could have what they lost instead of seeing what they still have: “people spend their days mourning over a loss of a loved one, instead of being thankful for those they still have in their lives.”  If I could live in the present thanking God for those I have and not lamenting over those I have lost – I would have a more thankful spirit.  Same in terms of things that I had and no longer do.  I lost my job, and much of the routine that went with it- but if I look at things in a positive light that just means that I have a blank canvas to continue writing my story.  Lament less, be thankful more.

A lot here has changed and I think that in dealing with all the change I have ignored some friendships and some hobbies.  Yet, the thing about friendship is that it understands that stuff happens and these changes are only opportunities to grow.  If a river remained stagnant it would smell and rot, but if it has a current though it changes it remains a healthy body of water.  Change sucks because it challenges us to grow, to move from the place we find ourselves to the unknown; but it also refreshes and excites the soul.  Everything changes, but just because it does it doesn’t mean that it’s for the worse; sometimes it comes with the opportunity to fortify our friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment