Thursday, February 28, 2019

Sunday Quiet Time


When I teach about prayer to my RCIA students I compare it to falling in love.  At first two people in love have so much to say to each other because they are getting to know one another, but after being in love for sometime words are not as important.  Like my parents who after fifty years of marriage enjoy being silent in each other’s company.  My dad will be going through the mail, while my mom is mending a pair of jeans both in the same room enjoying each other.  In this time of so much noise and business, I grew-up in a home where we like hanging around each other, especially in our backyard basking in the warm sun.  It’s almost our Sunday routine to gather together in the yard and after catching-up just sitting together quietly.  Sometimes, I have wondered if I were to bring a significant other into these Sunday afternoons with my clan if that person would understand the importance of togetherness without much activity- in fact usually in silence? 
Though nothing is happening in terms of exchanges, when I sit with my family something beyond happens that connects us together.  It is in these quiet gatherings that I feel their love and the power of our connection.  I come from a family that rarely says “I love you” – yet, I have always known that I am loved by them.  Because it takes intimacy to be comfortable with silences and also a high level of care. When I sit with my family and watch the sunset, I would purr if I were a feline -satisfied that even in my rest I love and am loved.  I think in terms of finding a significant other I want someone who will sit with me for a while.  I used to have these conversations with Dollar because he used to love quietly laying next to me, satisfied with us being together in the same room relaxing, I would say especially on low days, “I want to find someone who will just lay with me and forget the world.  Someone who loves me simply because I exist and not the sum of my strengths and weaknesses.” 

In contemplation that’s what we do with God, just sit and enjoy being in His presence.  He looks at me (at rest when I am completely unimpressive) and loves me because I am His beloved.  Thankfully, my parents have passed this great practice of the importance of silence - of quieting the mind to be able to hear love and to understand not only God, but also each other.  It was only until recently that I realized how special I am to have a group that loves me enough to spend quiet times with me.  In quiet, demands get cancelled and being just me is enough- I like that feeling of complete acceptance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment