Thursday, February 21, 2019

New Adventures


“Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end,” were the lyrics to our senior class song, quite mature lyrics for teenagers with pockets full of dreams.  As I was thinking of what to write this week those lyrics jumped at me because I am at a transition in my life, a fork in the road and while it’s easy to sulk about the end of things I am actually really optimistic about my future.  So, what now? Tabula Rasa, I have a blank slate to start over and the first thing that I plan to do is go visit my grandma.  After settling my unemployment, health care and all those logistics that a lay off brings – I decided that before I commit myself to new employment, I want to travel to Mexico and spend a couple weeks with my grandma in the town I was born in.  I have the opportunity to see her and it might be our last time together since she hasn’t been doing that great lately- so am looking at this free time as a blessing in disguise.
This free time has also given me the opportunity to do things that I normally didn’t have the time to do.  For some years now I have been wanting to take the ten-week course on the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises and hadn’t because I didn’t feel like driving to Hawaiian Gardens to take the classes.  Now, I found a morning class that is not only convenient because I don’t have to worry about being stuck in traffic, but it’s also going to take me through the season of Lent.  Today, I had my first class and it’s going to be a period of intense learning and prayer.  These next ten weeks I am going to be working on learning the why of my existence, proper care of creation and holy indifference.  The last though challenging is the one I am most excited about:     
  1. To not prefer a long or short life 
  2. To not prefer health over sickness 
  3. To not prefer richness over poverty 
  4. To not prefer honors over humiliation
When one loses a job, I feel like it’s a disturbance of peace and to be studying Ignatian Spirituality during this time when I am seeking order after a ten-year employment routine is such a great gift from God.  Ignatius believed that peace comes not from having all your needs met, but from a desire to do God’s will in every situation in life.  I have sometime off from work, and even though I was not the one that asked for the time off I have the financial security to be able to go spend sometime with my grandma who just had surgery and is in bed rest.  I also have the ability to take courses, to go to Mass daily and to transform my prayer life.  God is keeping me so busy that my days fly by without the time to think of negative thoughts, but if those nasty thoughts do come I use a quote from a cheerful saint, “Tristeza y melancolĂ­a fuera de la casa mia.”  What a great way to fight negative thoughts, “Sadness and melancholy outside my house!”  Because am finding that putting things in order also requires making sure one’s mind is also on check.

No comments:

Post a Comment