Monday, February 25, 2019

Finding the Right Bible Study Group for You

Tonight, I am going to my bible study on King David.  I have been taking the class for the past five weeks and I am really enjoying the experience.  Though, I am involved in many ways in my faith- I have been wanting to locate a group where I can have deep theological discussions that are also relevant to my everyday trials.  Finding the right match for me has been a long quest… I think finding the right study group is as difficult as trying to find the right therapist – it takes time and a few misfits until perseverance pays off and you find the right one.  Maybe I am difficult, but not all bible study groups work for everyone and that’s ok- the fact that there’s different kinds is a richness in our Church, we just have to have patience in finding one that suits each of us.  As I am aging out of the young adult groups, I feel like the YA groups are not as interesting to me as they once were; which I think is healthy- a sign of maturity. 
In my Monday night I am the youngest person in the course, but I feel like our discussions are really intellectually stimulating.  Or maybe it’s the way the group is organized, or the material we are studying; but what I think it is, is the people.  I feel like I have a found community.  The Monday night group, meets every Monday and once a video series ends, they all continue to the next one together.  They have been doing this for sometime so they know each other well and even bring cake to celebrate birthdays – which to me feels like family.  Though I am the new member, they have received me with opens arms quite warmly.  I am assigned to a small group for faith sharing, but I am not just part of those eight people- the whole group gathers together so everyone in the session knows one-another.  Sometimes we break into our small groups and other times we share as one large group.  This ability to have a small faith sharing group, but still belong to the larger body is what I find unique.  We study together, pray together and fellowship as one large family.  They’ve also gone on various pilgrimages together, which excites me since I love to travel.

I have been asking God for sometime for a group just like this, and though it has taken quite some searching I feel like I have found a nice place to grow.  It’s a good sign that I get excited as the night approaches to attend my group.  Thus, if you are still searching for the right bible study group don’t get discouraged- keep praying and actively searching.  I used to look at all the bulletins from parishes in my area to see what they had happening – after attending many different groups I finally landed on the one fitted for me. So pray and actively search (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment