Thursday, November 8, 2018

Thoughts and Prayers

I read a response on a friend’s Facebook page to the shooting in California this morning, he stated quite angrily that he didn’t want to hear, “thoughts and prayers,” but wanted action in relation to gun violence.  I understand his frustration and his misunderstanding in relation to what prayer is because I have been in his shoes where I too had an erroneous understanding of Christian prayer.  I too felt like prayer was a waste of energy – that did nothing, but as I have grown in my faith I’ve come to understand that prayer is active not passive.  When we pray we bring our petitions to God, but we also contemplate with Him and most of the time He inspires us to do our part.  I’ve mentioned many times how I love the way my mother prays, “God, place the people you want me to help in my path today.”  This short prayer illustrates that raising others to God is good, He wants us to ask for His assistance, but He also has equipped us with many talents to help one another.  Prayer invites us to action.

Saint Simon and Jude has a ribbon prayer wall this November with our intentions.

I love the story about a man who was stuck on a rooftop during a great flood, and he prayed to God for help.  A boat passed by and the man refused saying, “am waiting for God to come help me.”  Then a helicopter came and again the man refused saying, “am waiting for God to come to my assistance.”  The flood ended claiming his life and when the man was in God’s presence the man angrily said you never came to help me and God said, “I sent you a boat and a helicopter, but you refused.”  Prayer also requires accepting help, many times our pride or just plain ignorance keeps us from being open to assistance.  I know that I have trouble receiving support because it puts me in a position of vulnerability.  Yet, I’ve come to understand that when I refuse the aid of another I am not allowing that person to shine nor allowing her to grow in charity. Prayer invites us to accept help.

Many times the pain of another is so great and so personal that all we can do is pray.  When a person loses a loved one, or discovers a fatal illness or a marriage falls apart…  There are situations where all we can do is raise them in prayer because we have no way of ridding our loved ones of those hurts- so we pray that God will come to their assistance.  Yet, even in those situations where we can't alleviate another’s suffering, prayer invites us to come together and be a unifying force of love.  When my brother died no one could take away my hurt, but all those people who sent sympathy cards, were present for funeral services or just sent good thoughts acknowledging my loss gave me so much hope. Prayer invites us to come together.

Social media is full of empty words, of people posting things without much thought- but when a Christian prayer warrior says, “my prayers and thoughts are with you,” the meaning is much deeper because his understanding of prayer is different.  He’s saying am taking your hurt, am presenting your petitions to a loving God – but I am also going to contemplate on how God can use me to be a blessing to you in this moment of turmoil.  And when those prayers get presented to God, expect Him to show you how to be a supportive friend because prayer is active.  Our Catholic faith is not just about believing, but also of putting those beliefs into action because “a faith without works is dead.”  Thus, I caution that when you do offer someone your thoughts and prayers do so realizing what you are promising because empty words do more hurt than good.

No comments:

Post a Comment