Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Style Lessons I learned From My Momma

I love stories… Growing up we had to take public transportation everywhere and usually I was the only one that would accompany my mom.  During these journeys where it took long periods waiting for a bus to take us to and from, mom would tell me stories of her youth.  Stories about falling in love, of heartbreak, of friend troubles- tales that took me back in to her history and taught me great lessons.  Mom has such a great memory that she would even tell me what she wore.  The type and pattern of the fabric, the shoes and accessories… It seemed to me like these objects served as little vessels that transported us together back in time.  I saw her the first time she wore a pair of jeans in my mind so vividly that at times I fooled myself thinking I had actually been there.   Or when she celebrated her First Communion and her white shoes started flaking chunks revealing the true magenta and poor dyeing job.  I was there when her peers told her she was a sharp dresser and when other women in the pueblo asked to copy the patterns of the clothes she made.  My momma the fashionista, who made great art with her modest means.  Her only regret not owning a camera or having a little extra to pay to for photos, perhaps this lack of photographs is what encourages her to paint such vivid pictures with words of those days gone.

I think this love of stories and nostalgia of decades past is what inspires my thrifting escapades.  I go to find stories and when I find good ones I must carry them home; sometimes to keep at others to pass on.  I did a bit of cleaning over the weekend and I came across some of the few surviving photos of my mom and all these memories came flooding of those days of yesterday when our lack of a vehicle gave us the time to deepen our relationship.  So, for you this morning style lessons I learned from my mom.

Women Wear Pants Too.  In Christian circles I have come across many men and women that think that women should only wear skirts or dresses to both celebrate their femininity and to serve as role models for others... I don't have anything against that, but I do love the comfortable factor of pants.  I think with the proper styling women can still look tres chic in pants.  One of my favorite stories of mom, is the day she met one of her true loves, Levis jeans, and after saving her earnings she bought herself a pair.  It's been her go to piece since.
 Mom in her Levis.
Rocking bell-bottoms!

Femininity Is Beautiful!  Whether in pants or in dresses, women are beautiful and should celebrate this god-given beauty by taking pride in both their softness and strength.  Mom loves all the pretty things that make a girl swoon, but she is also the strongest person I know and this dichotomy has taught me that the differences between men and women is not a weakness.
Accessories are a fun.  Heels, purses, jewelry or a nice scarf can make an outfit pop with style.  I love how she fuses elements of our culture by wearing a scarf to Mass the way Mexican women of  her time styled them.  Taking pride in our roots is definitely a classic staple. 
 Mom rocking a head scarf with her sister and daughter.
Mom taking pride in the style of her culture.

Modesty is important.  One doesn't have to sacrifice modesty to remain stylish.  Our clothes send a message of who we are and if I want to be taken serious then I need to dress in a way that reminds others of that.
Mom and I around the same age.

Those simple days riding the bus with mom were years of great formation and many lessons in style.  Cheers to yesterday (smile)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment