Thursday, January 4, 2018

Epiphany: Dia de Los Reyes Magos

In countries where the commercialized Santa Claus has not yet inhabited, children excitedly await the coming of the Magi.  In Mexico, I remember putting my shoes nicely lined on the side of my bed in hopes of receiving the gift they had carried especially for me.  Some years when things were tight I would only get candy goodies that were greeted with the same enthusiasm as the year that I must have been extra good and got a doll with stroller...  I once read that people that are the happiest usually don’t have a whole lot of material possessions.  Judging by how times have changed and now my family has adopted the Christmas present giving tradition, I reminisce on those simpler days sometimes wishing I could travel back in time.  Back then any gift would suffice because kids like me didn’t have a whole lot so receiving a little extra no matter how simple - always delighted our hearts.  This year, my nephew received tons of stuff and he was still not completely satisfied; yet, I have heard of people that I know (grown-adults) who cry after opening a gift that disappointed.  These feelings of dissatisfaction speak so clearly of the effects of our commercialized culture, where we look at things to bring us happiness and it seems that every year instead of celebrating the birth of Christ we are more concerned with the perfect gift.  And one thing I have learned in years of therapy is that perfection outside of God doesn’t exist.
I myself haven’t left my shoes on the side of my bed since I moved to California thirty years ago.  Slowly as my siblings and I have grown-up, we have forgotten this tradition.  Am not sure if it was in an attempt to enculturate that we gave up the simple joy of shinning our shoes the night before the Epiphany and placing them neatly on the side of our beds.  Maybe it’s the fact that we live in a mostly Anglo neighborhood and we are no longer motivated by the excitement of our old town’s spirit.  Goodness, how I remember the animated anticipation for “El Dia de Los Reyes Magos” as I walked the streets of mi pueblo en Michoacán.  The days leading to it were always full of murmurs, whispers of the fun that laid ahead.  In the center of the celebration, just as it was located in our pueblo was the church.  These gifts weren’t brought by a chubby, old man with a beard (the one Coca-Cola made famous with its fifties advertisements) these came from a day as old as history, and from a team of Wise Men that worshipped the King of Kings by bringing gifts to the newborn King that first Christmas.  Sure they gave us yummy treats and maybe even toys, but there was something deeper that when we woke up that morning on January Sixth only warmness and gratefulness filled our hearts.  Then as we made our way to Mass to celebrate in community, we would share our gifts popping a sweet Colación in our mouths.
This year, I found two Magi ornaments in my thrifting and as I hung them up on the tree all these fond memories invaded my mind.  It was then that I realized that starting this year, I would incorporate this celebration into my Christmas time again.  Yes, it’s still Christmas for us Catholics.  This, Friday I am going to set a cute pair of shoes as I haven’t done since I was a wee kid and in the morning I know they will be filled with more than a bag of goodies or toys- they will have the same spirit of esperanza (hope) and love that the Wise Men brought and continue to bring in that Old Country of mine.  Happy Epiphany in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment