Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Looking Back 2017 Was a Good Year

It’s good to have goals and dreams.  This month is actually a very popular time for renewal and change.  I have yet, to spend some time reflecting on what I want to accomplish this 2018.  I ended the year quite busy and started the new one with this migraine that I think might be the beginning of the flu.  Thus, the periods that I’ve had of downtime have been spent resting and not yet looking at the future and the possibilities of beginning a brand new year.  In order to look ahead, it’s always nice to look back, so today here I am looking back.
January- I began my year with a visit from my buddy Lud, he’s a friend that even though we are separated by great distance we manage to keep in touch and help each other out.  He and I both have mental disabilities and really lean on one another during periods of difficulty managing our symptoms.  This year he stopped by my hometown and I got to give him a quick tour of my county.  
February- For Galantines Day a few of my friends and I had the pleasure of attending Father Leo’s cooking class.   Who knew that you could mix Catholic teaching with superb culinary skills!  It was such a fun night with a fresh delicious pasta dinner- cooked by our very own Priest Chef.  
Evangelization took a whole new meaning for me that night.
March- “Beauty and the Beast” movie premiere.  All girls love a good fairy tale, especially about a princess in a gorgeous gown!  This month I got many of my beauties to come and watch the movie with me- it was such a treat.
April- Another year and another class of souls for Jesus.  This month concluded my fourth year coordinating the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults at my parish along my close friends.  As usual coming to the end of our period of instruction and watching my students receive their Sacraments fortified my faith.  It’s so awesome to journey with new Christians!    
May- Took my yearly trip, this time to Poland and surrounding countries.  I had the best spiritual experience inside the home of Saint John Paul II.  He holds a very special place in my heart and through learning about his life and walking in his footsteps I found God in the most beautiful way.  I highly recommend visiting his childhood home (now a museum), truly one of the best experiences of my life.  
June - Dollar turned fourteen, one more and we are having a Quince!  This year he went ninety-percent deaf, had a health scare and I found myself needing to make quite a few changes for my aging dog.  He can no longer jump on our bed and didn’t like doggy stairs so now he stares at me when he wants to be lifted onto the bed.  This means that I get to hold him more (smile).  Yes, our time together is getting shorter, but I don’t like to think of that and rather enjoy each moment just the two of us.
July- After many years of wanting to join the Secular Franciscan Order, I finally made the effort and time to pursue my dream.  It’s been such a great step in my religious life!  I have met many men and women that encourage me to walk with the Lord and peeling layers of Saint Francis has been such a gift!  I feel like I belong to a community, to a religious family and that is such a blessing.
August- Continued my green shopping by making ninety percent of my shopping from second hand sources.  I also began purse flipping.  That is finding leather (quality) purses at thrift stores and fixing them up to sale in my eBay store.  My way of encouraging reusing items that were destined for the landfill.
September- Took a road trip with my mom, sister and nephew down to Ensenada to visit my aunt.  I hadn’t seen any of my Ensenada relatives in many years so it was such a treat to spend a few days together.  We toured the area and had some of the best ceviche ever, yum!
October- My mom turned seventy this year- such a milestone and while you might think she’s getting mature in age, she happens to have the biggest kid heart.  Yep, she is one funny lady that makes every day a celebration!  And Halloween saint edition happened with I, as Saint Rita and Dollar could have passed as doggy Juan Diego.
November- This month was full of blessings! I went on my annual weekend retreat which fortified me to bear the loss of my job.  I closed celebrating my birthday –skating edition.  It was quite a fun experience, but I am no longer as agile nor as good on skates as I remember (smile).  My friends amaze me with the dedication to my wacky birthday celebrations, the kids were super on wheels too!
December- Came with the traditional Advent activities and Christmas festivities.  On the vigil Mass on Christmas Eve Father gave a great homily and then had us singing songs to baby Jesus after the service.  Many had brought their baby Jesus statues to get blessed and Father had them all go up to the front as we had an impromptu concert for the babe that changed history and our lives.  It was a moment so beautiful and intimate as we worshipped God in community… I also got a permanent position with my previous company after only a month of forced vacation. 
Goodness after looking back, my 2017 looks so full!  I did have some challenges – like the scare we had with mom possibly having cancer.  Yet, it was during those difficult moments that I realized that as long as I have God my faith will stand firm.  He continues to teach me endurance and hope at the darkest moments- because the night doesn’t last forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment