Monday, December 12, 2016

Weekend in Pictures: December Celebrations

I had an extremely busy weekend, between my annual best friends holiday parties, celebrating the Feast Day of our Lady of Guadalupe and attending a half-day Advent retreat - I couldn’t help going to bed quite early last night exhausted.  Yet, it was good exhaustion.  Today, we honor the patroness of the Americas, our Lady of Guadalupe, since I knew that I would not make it to the traditional maƱanitas service, my parents and I celebrated on Saturday attending the festivities our parish hosted.  It began with a beautiful service with mariachi music and children dressed in traditional Mexican dress.  Then continued with a full blown fiesta outdoors with live music and Mexican delights.  We bought some yummy homemade food, listened to good mariachi music and went home satisfied with the loveliness of the celebration.








Later, that afternoon I attended my second friends Christmas gathering.  Every year, I have two traditional family festivities with my best friends from childhood and my best Catholic friends and their families.  This year they were back-to-back, on Friday I had one and Saturday the other. Both are usually pot-luck style, each of us bringing a dish to complete the meal.  Then there’s a children gift exchange and it’s so wonderful to see the happiness the children get opening their gifts!  These annual dinners are such family fun- that fill one’s heart with joy.  They are also moments that help us adults celebrate our friendship and the blessing God has given us of one more year able to share in each other’s lives.  Part of the joy of Christmas is having others to share it with (smile).


After a couple days full of activity, I wanted to get away and contemplate the coming of Jesus.  The Sacred Heart of Jesus sisters, in Santa Ana, host an annual Advent retreat.  It pays reading the church’s bulletin because that’s how I found out about the event.  I wasn’t sure what to expect about a six hour retreat, but I was in for such a treat!  First of all, the sisters have a Nativity in every corner of the retreat house which made me feel like I was at home! I also sat at the table with the mother of our soon to be bishop of Orange, Reverend Timothy Freyer.  His mom is such a lovely woman, she was telling me that he is her only child and she’s ecstatic with her son’s appointment.  She even invited me to his ordination in January… The retreat was really nice, it included: two talks, a good amount of time for personal prayer, lunch and Mass.  It was advertised as an adult retreat with the majority of the people in attendance being seniors and ladies.  I think I might have been the youngest person there, and by a big gap; but it was nice being surrounded by people who take their faith seriously.  I left feeling elated with the wisdom I received and just the slow pace of the day. 


This Advent- I have tried doing less and it has made such a difference.  It’s the first year, in sometime that it feels like Christmas! Many times in the rush of December I never get to experience that desire for Jesus’ coming and this year cutting back on activities and being very particular of the activities that I do participate in has allowed me the time to pray and reflect.  How’s your Advent going?  

No comments:

Post a Comment