Monday, December 5, 2016

10 Great Christmas Gifts for Catholics

My sister has been asking me what I want for Christmas- which I think is a popular question this time of year; thus, I decided I would write a fun post about ten great gifts for Catholics.  As people of faith we tend to focus on the real reason for the season, we speak about a time of waiting of preparedness for the birth of Christ in our hearts and I really think it’s important to be reminded of the true holiday Spirit.  While Christmas is filled with consumerism, material gifts are special too.  Look at the process behind the gift.  The giver thinks “what will my recipient enjoy,” then spends time searching through possible ideas until finding the right item.  After purchasing the item she goes home and selects a snowman covered wrapping paper and wraps it carefully adding a bow.  It makes her smile thinking of the possible reaction the recipient will have.  It’s a labor of love, thoughtfulness and time.  Thus, material gifts can be very special too.  Below is a list of ten items that I think any Catholic would love.
Last Testament: In His Own Words- the latest from Pope Benedict is sure to delight any Catholic nerd.  It’s written in a Q&A format, Peter Seewald interviews our Pope asking great questions and the answers provide a rather intimate look into the life of the man that has contributed so much wisdom to our church.  Some say it’s the nearest to an autobiography (smile).

Adult Coloring Book: The new trend to captivate the masses are coloring books for adults! For those of us who love art, but have a very limited ability to create - coloring books are a must.  There’s an array of styles, the ones that I found most interesting are Christian ones.  I found and immediately order myself one that is a journal and a coloring book- I mean seriously that is the most perfect idea! Color, write and reflect (smile). 
Sunday Missal- This came as a request from my mom (since we switch between English and Spanish services) my mom asked me to buy her a Sunday Missal (in Spanish) so that she can always know what’s going on during Mass.  This is a great gift for anyone during this time of year because we just began a new liturgical year and we can all benefit from having a guide to help us better focus during worship.
Tickets to a retreat, conference or an event- For those who seem to have it all, why not give them a gift to share an evening or weekend together.  Sometimes friends won’t attend retreats because they are too expensive so treat them to one.  My love language is quality time so these gifts are awesome.

Religious Order Products- Religious orders sell many handmade items to support themselves: chocolate, coffee, beer, rosaries, icons…  For the dog lover New Skete Monasteries have a unique selection of items- even dog biscuits!  I love their story- because they are Catholic dog whispers, check them out.

“The Pivotal Players”- Bishop Barron produced a beautiful multi-part film series on a handful of saints, artists, mystics and scholars.  He released the first part of the series just in time for the holidays.  The videos are exceptional- not only in content but the images captured are excellent.

A Subscription to Pius Media- This is like the Netflix for Catholics! It’s an online video rental with hundreds of Catholic movies to choose from.  It has all types of educational DVD’s, great children and family selections and (my favorite) tons of movies on the lives of the saints. 

A Planner- Even though smart phones have calendars – visual people (like myself) must have a planner to write and use our fancy pens.  I found this Saint’s Calendar at a conference earlier this year and its super neat.  Every week it has a brief bio on a Saint and the days are highlighted with Catholic Feast Days. 
Shining Light Dolls- I love the cute saint dolls that Shinning Light Dolls organization makes.  I think they are kid friendly- but as an adult I can see myself collecting them!
Mass offered for his/her Intentions- You can go to your parish and request a Mass date and on that day the special intentions will be in the person’s honor.  I have a friend who loves to offer Mass for my birthday and I think that is one of the sweetest gifts ever.

Hope this list helps with your Christmas giving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment