Saturday, July 11, 2020

RCIA Class of 2020


Yesterday, I attended an extraordinary service where my RCIA students received their sacraments.  This year was quite a challenging one- I was only able to help at the beginning of formation because my new job was so demanding.  Even, with only a couple months invested in the formation of this year’s sacrament graduating class- I still have such a deep love for the program.  Yesterday, as I arranged the newly initiated Catholics for a class photo- they were like, “I thought I recognized you.” To which I responded, “I wouldn’t have missed your special day for the world.” 
Our team leader did- like always such an impressive job!  I mean to inspire and keep a group going during quarantine was a huge struggle and she did it.  I remember her sending us a message on Easter Vigil and how much all of us lamented not being able to celebrate one of our favorite nights of the year.  While this year’s celebration took place within a daily Eucharistic celebration and though the students, godparents and families had to be outside in the hot sun separated by six feet – while wearing uncomfortable facemasks they joy of the new Catholics was equally shinning.  The service though simple was beautiful and I am sure equally memorable to all those present.
In terms of spiritual motivation- it’s moments like this that inspire me to continue serving.  After the budget cuts at my school, I was given the 8AM-4PM shift so I think that I will hopefully be able to serve next year as an RCIA catechist.  I have noticed that involvement in faith is crucial and these past few months unable to do so (first because of my job and then due to quarantine) have been a challenging time.  Yesterday, though my attendance was simply one of moral support (I didn’t have any duties) I realized how much I miss my team and my ministry. So, am looking forward to this new RCIA year!    

No comments:

Post a Comment