Saturday, July 18, 2020

Quarantine: Be Still


It’s easy to lose heart during this time because we are a country used to living on the go.  Thus, for many (myself included) the changing pace of quarantine at times can be extremely challenging.  Restrictions on employment, education, religious life - even our social life have changed the way we live.  I think I have voiced my frustration with teaching virtually and how I miss church life.  Sometimes, I can get easily discouraged especially when I read the news about all the chaos happening within our country.  At times, I can get stuck thinking my experience of quarantine is universal, but when I check in with my students and discover that they are not working on their school work because they are trying to help parents who have been laid off due to Covid-19 earn a living or when I check in with my fraternity and discover that many of the elderly members who live alone are struggling with loneliness – I realize that some have it worse than me.  It’s easy to complain, to see the flaws and focus so much on struggle the that we miss those hurting worse than me.   
I love words and I have a verse written on the wall of my room, “Be still and know that I am God.”  Every morning it’s the first thing I see, but I think the familiarity made it almost invisible for some time.  Recently, I woke up and was feeling restless from being cooped at a home too much and I looked at the verse on my wall and this lightbulb went off in my head and I realize that I needed to live by those words during this quarantine.  In this country activity is glorified.  We are always on the go and something out of our control is telling us to slow down and be still.  Many Americans have trouble with slowing down, I mean I just have to cross the south border and already in Mexico I feel a difference in pace.  This time though, I am being asked to slow down in my own home and for someone usually on the go it hasn’t been without its moments of restlessness.

Yesterday, as I sat on my porch with my dad, mom and Francis waiting for everyone else to get home from work (our usual daily ritual) I realized that one of my dreams is to retire to live in a farm.  On this afternoon that slower pace of farm life that inspired this dream felt utterly boring.  I was thinking maybe, this is the way I will feel if I live away in seclusion (smile).  In seconds, I almost discarded my dream for the noise and the activity of city life!  That’s when it hit me - how condition I am to the hustle and bustle and how much I need to contemplate and really discover the beauty of what draws me to the verse, “be still and know that I am God.”  All this time, its meaning was that in order to be utterly present with God (in prayer) I needed to be still, but now I see that God is asking me not just to be quiet when I pray, but to live in stillness. To have peace and tranquility – to be still always, especially in moments when I have more time to sit and reflect.             

No comments:

Post a Comment