Saturday, December 14, 2019

On Christmas Decorating


I put up the outside lights last Sunday, just the icicles that go around the edge of the roof.  I did so thinking of dad and how happy he would be if he returns before Christmas.  This December I realized that dad has taken over the Christmas-decorating-partner-in-crime-spot that my brother left open with his heavenly parting.  Dad’s enthusiasm normally pumps me up to decorate, he’s quite the holiday motivational speaker.  It’s not just the fact that I get help with the big project of putting up decorations, but the bonding that goes with the job that musters the energy to deck the halls with boughs of holly. 
I spoke with dad yesterday and he was telling me that the doctor said that grandma can last days, months, even years in her weak state – so my parents have decided to return home for Christmas.  Two of my uncles will stay with grandma, now the siblings will alternate time with her. Many times, in life we are torn between being into places at once and since bilocation is impossible – we have to place our trust in God that He will take care of all of us. 

These past few months have been filled with a lot of change and unexpected events. Yet, there’s always so much to be thankful for- so much light that makes it through the tunnel.  Though, this year I still have to put up the tree, the nativity and all the decorations that normally warm my home- in my heart I am still trying to prepare for the birth of my Savior.  While the outside might not look as festive as it did years past, inside me the desire for Jesus is even greater.  I desire the peace and joy of Christmas and most of all the acceptance of Mary when the Angel told her of God’s plan for her, “May it be done to me according to your word.”

No comments:

Post a Comment