Thursday, November 16, 2017

Why Do Catholics Light Candles?

When I was growing up, I saw mom approach the altar at our parish and light a candle regularly.  She usually would be wearing a beautiful lace veil, kneel and then pick up a match to light the votive.  Kneeling she would bow her head, close her eyes and I knew something profound was happening, as she prayed I’d stare at her lost in admiration- hoping the day would come when I would be old enough to follow in her footsteps.  To this day when I see parishes that still make room for this custom I get giddy inside because I love the tangible, the concrete as a vehicle towards God.  When I visit foreign countries, especially in Europe, I go a little crazy trying to hit every altar and light a candle for each petition because I love, love, love the tradition.  I cherish that Catholicism takes pride in the created and uses the material to connect us with God.  For example, the simple act of lighting a candle – of putting match to wax- symbolizes our prayer intention, our desire to come in solidarity with the person on whose behalf the prayer is offered for. The duration of the lit candle symbolizes our continual intersession, as long as the light remains glowing so does our petition continues to be lifted to the heavens.  At the retreat house I was in over the weekend, the sisters offered two different size candles: ones that burn for a day and a bigger size that burns for five.  This is a common option.  When I have the choice, I prefer the large ones because I love thinking that my prayers burn perpetually night and day for five whole days!  Sometimes when I am given the candle (without the glass) I write my intentions with a permanent marker so that my petitions are literally on the candle.
Some people don’t understand the use of candles in our faith, but in Scripture Jesus states, “I am the light of the world, no follower of mine shall ever walk in darkness; no, he shall possess the light of life.”  Light has a special significance to Catholics it reminds us of the Paschal Mystery - of hope in Christ.  Jesus is the light even in our troubles he lights our path; thus, lighting a votive shows our understanding that even in the most challenging times our hope is in the Lord.  I love the imagery a lit candle provides; even though I walk away to complete my daily tasks, on the altar I leave my prayer intentions and remain united in prayer with the Lord.  
There’s also a history, a rich tradition that is being passed down to us throughout the ages.  Early Christians held onto this tradition from their Jewish roots.  In Jewish synagogues candles and oil lamps were continuously lit to show the presence of God.  We continue to have a perpetual votive near the Tabernacle to this day!
In my family we have a paschal candle that we light for each other when times get difficult.  If I am going to an interview, or my brother-in-law is having a medical procedure, or we are worried about a specific challenge we light the candle at home uniting our worries with Christ.  We do this to give God the control and remind ourselves “His will be done.”  Many Christians are afraid to use the material afraid of idolatry, in Catholicism we use the created world to enter more deeply into the heart of God.     

No comments:

Post a Comment