Monday, November 13, 2017

What to Expect From a Women’s Silent Retreat

I am back from my much needed weekend retreat.  When I signed up for it a few months ago I didn’t know that it would come during a time of personal dryness and challenges.  This is my second retreat at Sacred Heart Retreat House in Alhambra and it continues to be such a special weekend getaway.  Some retreats come with a sense of surprise so the schedule is not made known to the participants and after the retreat is over we are made to promise to keep details private as not to ruin the experience for new retreatants.  This retreat doesn’t follow either rules, when we arrive we are given a schedule of the entire stay and we can divulge as much information about it with others as we like.  So, what does a women’s silent retreat look like?

1) Silence and a restful atmosphere to better hear God's voice.
2) Conferences given by a priest that usually go with the theme of the weekend.
3) Various opportunities for the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

4) Time for personal prayer.  I love spending time in the various gardens writing, coloring or just quietly listening to nature around me.
 Taking a walk while praying the rosary.
Coloring some scriptural postcards to later send my friends.

5) Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.  Getting to spend time with Jesus!
6) Delicious home cooked meals. 
 7) Time to study or relax.  Beyond the gardens the library was my favorite place.
8) Daily Mass.
9) Plenty of free time to relax and take it slow.
 Enjoying the beauty around me.
10) Renewal.
My weekend was spent with the Carmelites.  Carmel means "Garden of God."  Our soul is that plot and we must constantly care and work on it to produce good fruits.  At the conclusion of the retreat I was given a rose to take with me a piece of Carmel, but beyond the tangible flower my soul was bursting filled with Him.  Though I have been to various types of retreats, at this stage in my life I really enjoy the silent retreats the best because of the freedom to just be alone with God at my own pace.  Some retreats can be so full of activity and the sisters at Sacred Heart really helps us relax and rest, to become so quiet that God's voice becomes audible. The mission is to promote a deeper spiritual life among God’s people and the way they so carefully arrange our stay really invites us to grow.  Retreat Info: Sacred Heart Retreat House

No comments:

Post a Comment