Monday, May 12, 2014

Should Women Wear Pants to Church?

My first encounter with long skirts came in 2008 a year after I joined Jovenes Para Cristo. After a year of arduous formation I was ready to serve on retreats only to learn that the strict dress code (for women) included a button-up-long-sleeve-shirt accompanied by a long black skirt.  When women served on retreats or special events pants were prohibited.  In addition, at that time the priest of that parish encouraged women to wear long skirts or dresses if serving as Lectors, Hospitality or Eucharistic ministers during Mass.  The long skirt issue had long been battled way before I joined JPC and was not budging.  Thus, I just submitted to the long skirt requirement without a fight.  It was a humbling experience to accept the rules and invest on plain, long skirts.  I hated wearing a uniform, I’ve always enjoyed creativity in my manner of dress even when I am a bridesmaid I detest wearing the same dress everyone else wears.  Ah the woes of vanity (smile).
ECI Jumpsuit, Gold Coin Belt = Yard Sale $1 each 
Hot Pink Jacket- T-J Max, Michael Kors Purse- Ebay  

There’s a verse in the Bible in book of Deuteronomy that states that a woman must not wear men’s clothing and vice versa because God detests anyone who does this.  Some people think this verse prohibits women from wearing pants because pants were traditionally worn by men.  However, in biblical times men wore tunics not pants.  In addition, the new covenant initiated by Jesus supersedes the Old Testament Law and frees us from the strict legalism of the Old Testament.  Yet, I read that Saint Padre Pio (considered the greatest mystic of the 20th century) would refuse to hear a woman’s confession if she was in pants believing it was an immodest form of dress... So let's explore this a little deeper.  
Layered Necklace - Yard Sale $1, Carlos Santana Strappy Sandal - Macy's

What I learned from submitting to long skirts is that the big message behind the skirt restriction is to dress simply, humbly and to promote the unique beauty of gender differences.  The long skirt in JPC was aimed at not distracting participants during moments when we joined in prayer for others to have an encounter with Christ.  The uniform like dress code of JPC helped take the focus from me and place it on Jesus and the faith being shared during JPC retreats and events.  Similarly, wearing the same bridesmaid dress takes the focus off of self and refocuses it to the bride.  For that one day the bride shines while the bridesmaids play secondary roles.  Christianity is about taking the focus away from self and shining the light on Jesus and some people firmly believe that this can only be done with a long skirt for women. However, while modesty never changes, styles have changed from generation to generation and pants have long stopped being viewed as for "men only."  As the roles of women in the workforce changed so has the popularity of pants amongst the ladies.  


I do have a tendency to wear more dresses to Sunday Mass, but that’s strictly because I am a girly-girl.  However, I haven’t worn a long skirt since I left JPC and my day-to-day outfits are always planned around a comfortable pair of pants.  In addition, when I serve at retreats pants are my article of choice... Which sums that this Catholic girl is pro-pants (smile).    

No comments:

Post a Comment