Monday, May 5, 2014

Should Christian’s be Fashionable?

Though I don’t always dress fashionably I love fashion!  I love make-up, glitter, lace, pretty clothes, funky shoes, soft fragrances and sparkly, shiny jewelry.  My Latino culture is loud and doesn’t know the meaning of minimalism- in all matters more is better (smile).  Overdressing is our cultural weakness, yet I am also Catholic and Christianity motivates me to not give so much importance to my physical appearance.  That bears the question, can Christian’s be fashionable?  There are believers on both sides of the spectrum; some who encourage plain and outdated styles, zero make-up and no jewelry.  Then there are those, like me, who understand Timothy One, “women (are) to dress modestly, with decency and propriety… ” as the freedom to be both stylish and faithful.  There are a few references in the New Testament that advice women to be careful not to gain their sense of beauty or identity from adorning themselves.   That a person’s value should never derive from their physical appearance and I think that this fear that women will fall prey to superficiality makes many apprehensive about giving too much attention to the flesh. 
As Christians we believe that we are all beautifully made in the image of God and we should strive until we depart this world to work at perfecting our inner self – to become more like Christ until we breathe our last breath.  Yet, I don’t think that dedicating some time to also work on our exterior is sinful.  I mean there’s no commandment in the Bible that states: Thou shalt not be fashionable!  I love dressing up and looking good especially for Mass because I am single and God is the one I want to please.  However, if God blesses me with a boyfriend and eventually marriage I want to look good for my beloved.  I want date nights where we occasionally both get fancy (like I do so now for Sunday Mass) as part of our wooing process. 
Merona Dress-Yard Sale $1, Steve Madden Flats- Thrifted $6, Betsey Johnson Necklace- Yard Sale $1

I am visual.  God made me so and He gave me an eye for fashion and am sure He didn’t do it to be wicked.  There’s a lot of Christian women like myself that want to read Catholic Magazines that dedicate time to styling themselves.  There’s a need to openly talk about how to follow trends modestly, how to wear make-up, dresses, shoes in a Christian manner.  In almost every store that I walk-in there are magazines with beautiful women appealing to the eye – yet they all have worldly articles and styles; but, since there are no Christian Fashion Magazines I wait until the periodicals make it to my local used bookstore.  I buy them because I like to learn about silly details like what color is in and what I should pair my denim shirt with – does that make me less Christian?  Of course not!  I still pay way more attention to  inner beauty and spiritual growth.    
I have friends that ask me for tips on how to accessorize an outfit for a special occasion or to help style their hair... I have a gift for styling and I am finding ways to use that for the kingdom.  A while ago I went into Saint Francis Senior Home and gave all the women in the home manicures.  I, along with some helpers gave manicures to over fifty ladies. Who knew that covering fingernails with pinks and reds did marvels to the feminine soul.  God meant for us to enjoy everything that He gave us - the key is moderation and thoughtful creativity.   

No comments:

Post a Comment