Thursday, November 3, 2022

Our Rome Tour Guide

So, there I was touring some of the most beautiful places in Rome with religious significance and I had a skeptic as a tour guide, Martha.  Just right outside the Sancta Sanctorum trying to decide if I would be able to climb up the twenty-eight stairs on my knees, Martha ends her tour bit with, “The wood of the stairs was tested and only dated to the fourth century so these steps are probably not really the stairs that Jesus climbed on his way to his trial, but does that change your faith probably not.”

Just a few minutes earlier at the Cathedral of Saint John the Lateran on our way out, Martha pointed to the relics of the Last Supper Table and offered her first bit of doubt, “During the times of Jesus, tables weren’t used so this is probably not the real table, but does that change your faith of course not.” Then she led us out as if her words weren’t a big deal and moved to another painting and while she shared what she knew about the art piece, I thought this lady is not good at reading her audience.  At the archbasilica where the heads of Saint Peter and Saint Paul are said to be found, again Martha said, “no one has ever opened them to know if it’s truly who they say they are.”

By the time we had reached the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, I made a comment to Father, “I think we have a skeptic as a tour guide – she keeps saying that none of the relics are the real thing.”  Then she made a huge error when she said that the mosaic of Jesus crowing his Mother represented Mary as Jesus’ wife that Father finally had to address not only her Marian theology, but the information she was sharing with us.  He politely gave her a mini Mariology lesson and also challenged her on the furniture that was around during Jesus’ time by quoting the many times the word table is used in scripture.  From my own studies I know that tables looked a bit different (lower) during that period so maybe that’s where her confusion stemmed.

Yet, by the time we reached the Sistine Chapel the group was over our Rome tour guide.  I for one was thinking of skipping the Sistine Chapel this time because the previous time I went I hated being stuck in such a crowded place, but before I was aware I was inside the museum.  That day the itinerary wasn’t followed and I got stuck in the crowd thinking we were going to a different location. In my mind I was hoping to sip on a cappuccino while the group went to the museum and instead I was in a people traffic jam with a tour guide who I had less and less patience for.  It seemed that Father having had the brief talk with Martha made her insecure and she was now reading her extensive notes afraid to make a mistake.  She stopped in the garden of the museum to explain the frescos that we were about to see. Tour group after tour group passed us and she continued her extensive lecture on the art pieces. The hot sun combined with our aching feet from standing all day made many of my group members run out of patience.  “We just needed an overview not a college discourse!” bellowed an elderly man, but it seemed like Martha was wound up and nothing could stop her from sharing the most miniscule details.

Hours later we boarded the bus exhausted, but happy to be leaving our Rome guide behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment