Monday, March 21, 2016

New Testament Class: God Involves Humanity in His Work

I love words.  Since, I can remember every time I heard powerful phrases my skin would get covered in goosebumps.  Thus, loving scripture and finding that one of the most intimate ways God speaks to me is through His Word was expected.  After much prayer and preparation, I decided to start the Master Catechist Certificate Program with a specialization in Biblical Studies.  While everyone warned me that I was going to dislike my Old Testament class, I loved it.  I loved learning about God’s salvation plan in Old Testament times and learning that all His corrections were an act of love.  I was moved by His great love and His never ending attempts to clear the chaos and bring peace to His people.  This semester, I began my New Testament class and surprisingly I am not having the same positive experience.  Looking at scripture critically from a historical, literary perspective makes it really difficult for me to see the work of the Spirit.  Maybe it’s the main book that we are using in class that I dislike… Vincent P. Branick to me takes scripture and humanizes instead of glorify it.  Am trying to keep an open mind, but reading this book has been torture! Branick’s theories of multiple authors, additional sources (Q), later added verses and human involvement in the New Testament has made my experience really uncomfortable.  Good thing that the supplemental reading is Peter Kreeft and I am enjoying his points a lot better.  Fortunately, as difficult as I have found this class, this week I complete my second semester with the submission of two essays by the end of the week (smile).  Then in a few weeks I begin semester three “The Psalms.”
I love learning, especially when it comes to theology and matters of faith.  In many churches after praying the Stations of the Cross, we have the Seven Words Sermon, a reflection on the last words of Jesus on the cross.  On Friday, I attended this service at my parish and while I was listening to the short homilies after each of Jesus’ expressions, I thought about how Jesus constantly teaches in parables.  These short stories not only make his teachings more memorable, they encourage us to think critically, to ponder things more deeply and to ask questions.  In scripture, we have many examples of the disciples asking questions.  Yet, Nietzsche claims that Christians have sheep mentalities that religion makes people brainless dimwits.  Nonetheless, Jesus teaches in a manner that makes people think deeply about everything and to ask questions freely.  When I was a teenager (who thought I knew everything) I hated self-help books with a passion.  Instead I loved reading novels and reaching truths through story form.  Jesus likes revealing the truth in story form encouraging us to use our intellect to uncover the beauty of God.   These biblical parables are simple reads; but, their substance has bottomless truth. 

My New Testament class has helped me understand the truth better by studying scripture from a historical perspective.  By looking at the New Testament writings as they were intended for who they were intended using exegesis and looking at the biblical writings together as a whole I’ve gotten a better understanding that faith and works go hand in hand.  That sola scriptura is not an option.  I’ve learned that eisegesis can be dangerous.  However, coming from an evangelical background it’s no secret why I am having trouble with this class.  I am being asked to change a mentality that has dominated my faith.  I am also being challenged to look at the humanity of the Christian writers and the human process by which God acts.  He’s not a magician, He uses ordinary people and ordinary ways to show us His majesty.  And as much as I want to see the spreading of the Christian church as a spiritual phenomenon, God involves humanity in His work- using our hands, feet & lips - He acts.  I pray that God continues to change my erroneous thoughts and ways even if I squirm along the way.      

No comments:

Post a Comment